Web Science PhD Student and
University of Southampton
I research the potential for consumer health tech in clinical settings. My interests are data visualisation, user interface design, and healthcare informatics. I am a full-stack web developer, experienced in Angular, d3, and Node.js.
My research focuses on the use of modern consumer health technology (such as Fitbits and Apple Watches) by clinicians in their practice. For my PhD, I interviewed clinicians about their experiences with these devices, and together we collaboratively designed a tool for using these patient-generated data in clinical practice.
- Richard Giordano, Reham Al Tamime, Peter West (2018). Enabling Trust, Accountability, and Routine Use of AI-Enabled Healthcare at NExT++ Workshop: AI in Health and Finance in Nanjing University of Science & Technology, Jiangsu, China on 1—2 Nov [Slides] [Poster].
- Peter West, Max Van Kleek, Richard Giordano, Mark Weal (2018). Common Barriers to the Use of Patient-Generated Data Across Clinical Settings at The Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems in Montreal, Canada on 21-26 Apr [Manuscript] [Slides].
- Neal Reeves, Peter West, Elena Simperl (2018). "A game without competition is hardly a game": The impact of competitions on player activity in a human computation game at Proceedings of the Sixth AAAI Conference on Human Computation and Crowdsourcing (HCOMP-18) in Zurich on 5—8 Jul.
- Peter West (2019). The Quantified Patient in the Doctor’s Office: Understanding Clinical Workflows for Using Patient Self-Tracked Data (PhD Thesis) [Manuscript].
- Peter West, Max Van Kleek, Richard Giordano, Mark Weal, Nigel Shadbolt (2017). Information Quality Challenges of Patient-Generated Data in Clinical Practice in Frontiers Public Health [Manuscript].
- Peter West (2017). Self-Tracked Data in Clinical Settings at WSTNet Web Science Summer School in Saint Petersburg, Russia on 1—7 Jul.
- Peter West, Richard Giordano, Max Van Kleek, Nigel Shadbolt (2016). The Quantified Patient in the Doctor's Office: Challenges and Opportunities at The Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems in San Jose, USA on 7—12 May [Manuscript] [Slides].
- Peter West, Richard Giordano, Max Van Kleek (2015). The Quantified Self and clinical decision making: understanding clinical decision bias and errors when using quantified self data (talk) at Health Services Research Network Symposium in Nottingham, UK on 13—14 Jul.
- Peter West, Richard Giordano, Max Van Kleek, Jeff Vass (2015). The quantified self and clinical decision making (talk) at King's Fund Digital Health and Care Congress in London, UK on 16—17 June [Slides].
- Peter West (2014). Clinical Decision Making with Data (Masters Thesis) [Poster].
- Peter West (2013). Data Divides: Societies Divided By Data.
- Peter West (2012). Social Tagging (Software Engineering Dissertation).
I am the Technical Lead at PInCH Medical Systems, where we develop health technology for the management of chronic diseases. I am an experienced web developer and have published and contributed to several open source projects: